Learn to make games using industry standard C++ and Raylib
What you’ll learn
- How to write games in C++ from scratch
- The basics of Object Oriented Programming (OOP)
- Programming fundamentals (inc variables, loops and if-statements)
- Clean coding practices and principles
- How to compile and run your C++ games and apps
- Problem solving and debugging basics with C++
- How to use the Raylib simple games library
- How to animate 2D characters
- Comfortable installing new software
- Excited to learn programming 🙂
Learning to program can be dull, and learning C++ is hard enough without having to learn a game engine as well.
In this course we teach you coding the fun way, by making games! And we’ll be using a library so you can focus on learning pure C++ and good programming practice.
You’ll start by compiling your first program in C++, using Visual Studio Code as your text editor.
Then create your first axe dodging game using the Raylib library. This project introduces the basic concepts of programming: variables, loops and if-statements.
You expand on this in Dapper Dasher, by building a side-scrolling running game. In addition to covering essential programming concepts such as structs and functions, you’ll learn to animate 2D characters and make your game pretty.
In Classy Clash we introduce Object Oriented Programming. You’ll learn how this simplifies programming for games and how inheritance can avoid code duplication.
Whether you’re a total beginner to programming and want to learn pure C++, or an intermediate Unreal student who wants to explore making games in pure C++, this is the course for you!
There are no course prerequisites, though it’ll help if you’re comfortable installing new software and excited to learn programming!
All students have access to the Q&A forums where our Instructors, Teaching Assistants and Community are ready to help answer your questions and cheer on your success.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone looking to learn C++ in a fun way
- Total beginners to programming who want to learn pure C++
- Intermediate students of Unreal who want to explore making games in pure C++
Created by GameDev.tv Team, Stephen Ulibarri, Sam Pattuzzi
Last updated 8/2021
Size: 9.60 GB